Monday, March 03, 2008

Seneca Creek Greenway Trail Marathon/50K

ALL-SLUGS
Hope all is well with you. had a great time at the race and tried to crazy horse the marathon, but had some stiff competition. It was like racing Eugene "Bring it" or Miguel "last one standing" Gomez. It was a fight, but in the end I just wasn't able to hang on. So I had a beer and some ribs and called it a night. It was a great race, highly recommend it for all. Plus it had some mud and you know how much I love mud!
Pokey.


Friday night I made my way over to Montgomery County Maryland to settle in for my first time running this event. I used to live in this area and would run on parts of this trail sometimes. It was a different time in my life then and I can't believe I was back running form where I used to live, to about where I used to work. 4 years does change a lot of things.

5:35 am comes way too soon and I get my gear on and prepare to drive to the finish area and meet up with Down and Durty Slug, aka Durt, so we can ride the bus to the start together. The temp isn’t too bad, but the wind is fierce. I was glad I had plenty of layers on. We are dropped off to registration and the start line and get our numbers. While in line I her someone Yell “turtle” which is one of my many monikers. It is KC from Kickrunners who recognized me from an incident at JFK involving a certain “knighted” slug and pictures of said slug’s, ahem, cheeks. I then saw the NJ Lawyer clan who made quite a Splash at TSI Fattest Butt who were in great spirits.

Line up for the start came and off we went. D&D slug hung with me for a bit, but true to Wrong Way Charlie’s teachings, I quickly found my way to the back of the pack. I ran with KC for a bit and finally was left to my own slug devices at the back of the pack. I found my slogging pace and quickly found myself oozing through mud and such. The trail was quite pretty and I enjoyed my time on the trail. After a few miles, I started to catch up to some other runners, one being the Lovely Miss C from Colorado, two weeks after her Tokyo Marathon finish. I started to run and chat with her, enjoying these moments that only seems to happen on the trails. Those fun times with new friends who have wonderful tales and great insight.

As we headed over one of the road crossings, we came upon a runner who had an unfortunate run-in with a deer. She was a bit bloodied from the encounter and was talking to a volunteer. I offered my firefighter experience to check her out and suggested she have her shoulder checked out and hand cleaned up at a Local ER. Deer are very powerful and she had a lot of shoulder pain. Once they were getting her on her way, I left out onto the trail, searching for the Lovely Miss C. We made it to the 11 mile marker and I had the most wonderful Girl Scout cookies and refilled my water. I took off a bit ahead of Miss C, but she was not far behind me. There was a time when we came out of the woods and the wind picked up, giving me quite a chill. It slowed me down considerably and Miss C caught up to me. We were making okay time, but as we made our way to the 15 mile marker, we started to hear the trail sweep behind us. I picked the pace up a bit and made it to the 15 mile marker with about 2 minutes to spare.

Miles 14 and 15 are always a low point for in any race for me. I tend to question my sanity and desire for finishing at this point. I have found that some Coca cola and m&ms seem to cure this mental block and I push through. I found both at the 15 mile marker and took off, in hopes of a finish.

I must take the time to note the signs advertising Peeps everywhere. At first I thought maybe someone was hiding peeps in the woods where one could “hunt” and find them. I started to get a little mad at the fact there were no peeps hiding from me. It was when I finally saw a sign with “Peep Show 2 miles” did I realize it was going to be an Aid station with peeps. I was stoked, to say the least. With some Coke already on board, the thought of peeps was energizing. I quickly found my way up the hill next to field, then down towards the peep station. There they were, those mythical beasts of sugary perfection, I gave a pat to the stuffed “Peep” on my way into the station. I called out my number and they said good going Amanda…. It was great to hear someone cheering me on. I was even more excited by the two peeps ,one purple and one green, they handed to me, neatly impaled on a stick. This was no marshmallow fluff on my shoe (long story), but real, slightly stale, peeps on a stick. I was in heaven. I had a Pb&J, two peeps (marshmallow goodness), and some more coke. I filled up my water bottle, sucked down some lava salts and went on my merry way.

I took some time to walk off the peeps and channel my inner slug. Miss C caught up with me (that woman is a POWER walker) and we stayed together for a few. She was told we were about a 10K from the finish. I knew I could make that in the time allotted, so I bid her farewell, since she walked faster than I did and I was running faster than her at that point. I quickly made my way to the last stop, where I had my water bottle topped off and some pretzels. I then told the volunteers I loved them when they told me 3 miles to the finish and I really meant it. I totally did love them. I made my way down to the second big water crossing and managed to only get one “turtle” foot wet. I then made my way up these huge steps that made my quads feel like they were being ripped off and up and up a hill.

About this time I realized just how important all the weight training I have been doing is. All the squats, plyometrics, box jumps, bosu, and wobble board work. I pushed myself up the hills with more speed that I would normally have at this point and when I hit the flats, I was moving fast. I made it off the trail and to the road where I made my way to the finish. Walking up the road on my way to the Finish was none other than the Boyfriend, his Uncle and D&D slug. I tossed my mittens to the Boyfriend with an “I didn’t pee on them” (long story) and D&D slug took off down to the finish with me. He had a good finish in the 50K and got some quality time in for Umstead. I finished the Marathon in 7:47(my last 10K was a 1:20 which is a good trail 10K for me after 25 or so miles), certainly not the faster time in all of history, but it was a great training run for me. Plus, I got to run with an amazing lady for a good portion of the race, which is worth more than any PR in my slug opinion.

No comments: